Our hiring process consists of five steps.
- Resume and Certification submission
- When there are openings, which you can find here, you first need to submit your resume and copies of your certifications to us. Failure to do so may result in immediate dismissal from the hiring process.
- Interview Panel
- The interview panel consists of representatives from the Highland County Dept of EMS, Highland County government, and Highland County Volunteer Rescue Squad. This will allow us to get to know you better as a person, not just as a provider.
- Written Examination
- The written examination consists of 25 questions. All questions are derived from the current version of the Central Shenandoah EMS Council protocols. If you are not from the area, we strongly reccomend that you review the protocols. All written exams will be to the level you are applying for.
- Practical Examination
- This is a three step process. It involves a medical scenario, trauma scenario, and cardiac arrest. Two proctors will be evaluating you utilizing the NREMT trauma and medical scenario score sheets for reference. You will be expected to perform at the level you are applying for. All patient care is expected to be within CSEMS protocol.
- Job Offer
- The interview panel will decide who to send conditional offers of employment to. These offers are contingent upon a criminal background check, driving record check, and drug screen.